Free shipping on orders over 30€!

Back To Top

Swipe to the left

Franco Albini

Franco Albini
By Admin Muranonet 30 May 2021 9 Views No comments

Franco Albini was born in 1905 in Robbiate (Como).
He graduated in architecture from the Milan Polytechnic in 1929.
The following year he opened his own architecture studio, focusing on product and exhibition design, becoming one of the most significant designers in the world in this field during his career.


In 1945 and 1946 he directed the architecture magazine Casabella and between 1949 and 1977 he devoted himself to teaching, first in the universities of Venice and Turin until 1963, then at the Milan Polytechnic.
His works are characterized by a rational rigor, which is evident in works such as the restoration and interior design of Palazzo Bianco in Genoa (1950), the project for the exhibition of the Treasure of San Lorenzo in Genoa (1952) in collaboration with Franca Helg, and the restoration of Palazzo Rosso in Genoa (1952-1961).
His successful work in the field of design is known for the essential elegance that distinguishes his numerous furniture projects, such as the Margherita armchair for Bonacina (1950), the Fiorenza armchair for Artflex (1952), the Luisa chair for Poggi ( 1954), and the Credenza (1967) designed in collaboration with Franca Helg.
From this partnership was also born the collection of glass pieces designed for San Lorenzo S.r.l. and made by Salviati.
In the early 1960s, in collaboration with Franca Helg and Bob Noorda, he designed the furnishings and signs for the stations for Line 1 of the Milan Metro.
Franco passed in 1977.


Posted in: Artists