The opaque murrine glassware is the outcome of Carlo Scarpa ’s further research on the technique experimented with Paolo Venini in 1936, when the two conceived the “Roman” murrine series.
While the multicoloured rod sections of the “Roman” murrine items were cold-assembled and successively joined in the furnace, the new opaque murrine were not blown, but shaped by using moulds or glassmaker tools, and then ground finished to obtain a smooth effect on the whole surface, unlike the “Roman” murrine glassware. The very first example of an opaque murrine vase was published in 1936 in the “Domus” magazine (July issue) along with the “Roman” murrine glassware. A small series of ground murrine glass items was exhibited at the 22nd Venice Biennale in 1940. Among them was an astonishing dish with a coiled snake in red and white murrine standing out against black murrine.