Born in 1915 in Hanko (Finland), he died in Venice in 1985.
He attended the Central School of Applied Arts and went on to produce successful art and design in almost every medium-plywood, glass, porcelain, silver in addition to making a name for himself as a graphic designer.
In 1936 he completed his studied at the Institute of Industrial Arts, Helsinki.
In 1946 he won a decorative glass and engraving competition sponsored by the Iittala Glassworks.
He worked at Finnish Karhula Iittala, learning every aspect of glass production, and would continue to design for them until his death.
He directed the School of Decorative Arts from 1951 to 1954. In 1955 he opened a design studio and did design work for Venini & Co. from 1966 to 1985.